Avian Flu Outbreak Warning – 9/1/2023
Mask Mandates – 3/6/2023
- The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) announces revisions to the mask mandates at health care facilities.
Popular COVID-19 Treatment Program Returns – 2/17/2023
- The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) has relaunched its popular free telehealth program for COVID-19 treatment
Health Advisory from CDC – Flu Illness this Season – 12/20/2022
- Seasonal influenza activity remains high but appears to be declining in some areas.
- Of influenza A viruses detected and subtyped during week 49, 80% were influenza A(H3N2) and 20% were influenza A(H1N1)
- Nine influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported this week, for a total of 30 pediatric flu deaths reported so far this season.
- CDC estimates that, so far this season, there have been at least 15 million illnesses, 150,000 hospitalizations, and 9,300 deaths from flu.
- The cumulative hospitalization rate in the FluSurv-NET system is higher than the rate observed in week 49 during every previous season since 2010-2011.
- The number of flu hospital admissions reported in the HHS Protect system decreased nationally during week 49 compared to week 48.
- The majority of influenza viruses tested are in the same genetic subclade as and antigenically similar to the influenza viruses included in this season’s influenza vaccine.
- All viruses collected and evaluated this season have been susceptible to the influenza antivirals oseltamivir, peramivir, zanamivir, and baloxavir.
- An annual flu vaccine is the best way to protect against flu. Vaccination helps prevent infection and can also prevent serious outcomes in people who get vaccinated but still get sick with flu.
- CDC recommends that everyone ages 6 months and older get a flu vaccine annually. Now is a good time to get vaccinated if you haven’t already.
- Click here for CDC issued Interim Guidance for Clinicians to Prioritize Antiviral Treatment of Influenza in the Setting of Reduced Availability of Oseltamivir through the Health Alert Network (HAN) on December 15, 2022.
Health Advisory – Elder Care and Abuse
Information about elder care advisories and abuse: click here.